Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Sisters on Parade!

This Novice is still recovering from Pride, and I'm just now getting to write about the Pride Parade! It was that fabulous and exhausting! As Dolly would say, "it takes a lot of time and money to look this cheap!" and I would add...energy!

The second day of pride started at 6am and ended after midnight. Rather than recall everything moment by moment, I thought I'd share a bit about the parade here, and show you some of our pics. Thank you to Carlie and D'Marie for taking such lovely pictures!

You can also see some fabulous pics of two of our Palm Springs Sisters, Novice Sister Eve All and Novice Sister Golden Hair Surprise, in (of all places) the usually concervative paper, AZ Central. You can see the slide show here: http://www.azcentral.com/slideshow/azcentral/4815/1/23/

As you can see we were again joined by Novice Sister Bubbles of the Los Angeles Order. She can be seen in the blue dress and flying nun style coronet at the center of the second picture. We were also joined by many sisters from the Palm Springs Order. I can't thank them enough for their support and inspiration. Not to mention the makeup tips! Pristine makeup and colorful outfits everywhere I looked! It was wonderful!

The Phoenix men's Chorus made every Sister take notice with their Devil loves Prada float! I wanted to climb up in it myself! LOL Unfortunatly none of the boys were around to ask when I stopped by. Too bad too, I have a thing for men with pipes!



Because of our early arrival on the scene, we were able to run around and visit with those who would later be in the parade, as well as get a glimpse of some of the other floats. This was the largest Phoenix Pride Parade yet with 200 floats!
One of my favorites was what I termed, "The very gay cross" in representation of a local GLBT friendly congregation. So friendly, that they even let me pose near it! in my belly dancing drag nun outfit! Gotta love those GLBT friendly churches, they really get it!

It was really special to me to finally be in a pride parade, as that's the first place I saw a Sister myself as a child. I strove to make people laugh, smile, and feel beautiful and loved just like Sister X-plosion made me feel back then.

Some of my favorite moments came while actually in the parade, riding in...or dangling out of, the trolly which ECHO magazine provided and singing along to the songs pouring from our speaker "We are family, I've got all my Sisters with me!" I loved speaking with the visiting Sisters before and after the parade, waving at folks, taking pictures of people and reminding them that they're beautiful... sexy gay boys taking their shirts off in the heat... a kilted leather boi running up to lick my foot where it dangled off the trolly.... Novice Sister Goldie roller skating beside me while holding onto the trolly... convincing the man sitting next to me to snap a picture of Sister Mary Margaret Xplosion catching some shade under a tree (I hope he'll send me that pic!) and so much more. I really can't pinpoint just one thing to share about, but you can see even more pictures than I've shared here by clicking on the title of this blog, or by visiting www.azsisters.org

No comments: