Sunday, November 16, 2008

Equal Rights Rally and a Night for Sister Bearie

Thank you again to everyone who came out and stood up for equal rights be you straight, lesbian, gay, bi, tri, transgender, a purple monkey in a dinosaur suit, or otherwise. (Well OK, maybe some people don't support purple monkeys)

I showed up early as usual with Guard Spiketakiss, Patch and Sister Rhea Treavor to see how I could help out, and followed this man and his Pride flag over to where people were handing out signs (I'd brought extras and some extra equal rights tshirts which I forgot to give out, doh!)

Although Guard Spiketakiss started out the day watching over a lone Sister, we were soon joined by Sisters Honey, Felicity, Ora Lee, and Postulant Raisa Brow.



Eventually the place filled up and over 4000 Phoenix residents of all walks of life, gathered to march from the Cesar Chavez Memorial to the State Capitol and back. Along the way I ran into Sisters Odora and Frankly, chanting along with the crowd. It was quite a long march but the shouts of the large crowd enjoyed the dance of the echo, bouncing off the buildings so that nobody doubted we were there.

My favorite chant of the day, "A people, united, can never be divided!" and it is so true. I sent some of my pictures in to Humans for Equality. Some of which you can see right now on the Gender DiverCity blog. I will upload the rest of my pictures and videos from the rally to azsisters.org and my youtube page today. And if you want to stand up and say you believe all people should have equal rights, send in a picture of yourself with your words about equal rights to humans4equality@gmail.com


After the rally, many of the Sisters headed over to Cherry Bar for Vanilla's Christmas Puddin drag show, the second part of Sister Bearie's Novice Project and 3 part fund raiser for Logans Playground. Logan's Playground is a wonderful resource for children with or affected by HIV and AIDS. You can learn all about them at https://www.logansplayground.org/About___Us.html

The first part was a costume party and drag show called the Witch's Ball, the second was last night, and the third will be in December at Exposed Gallery. So far each and every one has been amazing.

I especially loved the Witch's ball, and I'm sure I would have loved last night just as much if I hadn't been up since 3:30 am preparing for the day's events! LOL as it was I bearly managed to keep my eyes open and ask the people entering for their toys. Thank goodness Novice V'gina Dentata and Aspirants Bear and Wayne were there with me to keep reminded me of what we were doin!

It was a special night not only because we brought in extra funds and toys for kids with or affected by HIV/AIDS, but also because Sister Bearie D'licious took her vows right there in front of bear and country. Sister Odora lead her in the vows, which several of the Sisters there spoke along with, reinstating our vows, while Atopa and Oralee placed the new veil on her head (which somehow quickly became covered in lights, feathers and a wig....and soon after several different colored veils rained down upon her from the other black veil members of the house.

Welcome to fully professed life Sister Bearie Delicious! I know you will continue to bring many wonderful things to the Grand Canyon Sisters, and the community we serve.

No comments: